Thursday, January 23, 2014

off track, on track.

So, running is coming along quite slowly. The weather has been really cold and snowy and because I run outside I haven't been able to go out and train for a while. Like, 2 weeks a while. It's been reeeeaallly bad. We've gotten like a foot of snow this past week. It's actually been quite annoying.
But on another note, I've been writing and reading more than I have been lately. It's been quite nice. I read Looking for Alaska by John Green. It was nothing short of perfect. Looking for Alaska was much better than The Fault in Out Stars, the other book I read by him. I am much intrigued by his writings and would like to read more of them. He writes in such a way to tug at your soul and make you feel and feel deeply. John forces you to put yourself in the character's shoes and be in the novel. He makes you think about you and dig deep inside. Looking for Alaska was about a boy who loved last words. That being so there was a lot of quotations in this novel. I absolutely love quotations. Words that come from people's souls that are so personal mean so much. They're a glimpse into someone's life and heart and world and I think they're so special. Edna St. Vincent said, "Night falls fast. Today is in the past." And that's my favorite quote from that novel. It's beautiful and real in a sad and lonely sort of way. 
In Looking for Alaska, Alaska has a room full of books. She claims to have only read a third of them. That makes me feel better because you know something? I have a room full of books, and I've only read a third of them. Maybe that makes me optimistic, well, I like to think so. 

“She said, "It's not life or death, the labyrinth."
"Um, okay. So what is it?"
"Suffering," she said. "Doing wrong and having wrong things happen to you. That's the problem. Bolivar was talking about the pain, not about the living or dying. How do you get out of the labyrinth of suffering?... Nothing's wrong. But there's always suffering, Pudge. Homework or malaria or having a boyfriend who lives far away when there's a good-looking boy lying next to you. Suffering is universal. It's the one thing Buddhists, Christians, and Muslims are all worried about.” 
- John Green in Looking for Alaska on the labyrinth of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment